Senior Lecturer in Rural Development in Sweden and Europe with focus on migration and integration in rural areas
For the full job advert, please see here.
Department of Urban and Rural Development, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
Research and education at the Department of Urban and Rural Development are carried out at four different divisions: Agrarian History, Rural Development, Landscape Architecture and Environmental Communication. The appointment will be at the Division of Rural Development. The Division of Rural Development consists of two subject areas: Rural Development in the Global South and Rural Development in Sweden and Europe. An international master’s program in Rural Development and Natural Resource Management and a 5 year professional program in agronomy focusing on rural development are offered by the Division.
The position allows for your own research and research management corresponding to at least 35%.
The subject of the appointment is rural development in Sweden and Europe with focus on migration and integration in Swedish and European rural areas and its relations to rural development and the environment. Questions of gender, class, ethnicity and other dimensions of power are central.
The appointed senior lecturer in the subject area is expected to
- develop research within the subject
- undertake extensive field work in rural areas in Sweden or other parts of Europe
- develop and manage teaching in rural development at undergraduate, master and doctoral levels
- supervise doctoral students
- develop and maintain international networks with researchers and society in general and work across disciplines
- communicate research findings and contribute with knowledge to society
- actively apply for research grants
A person shall be qualified for appointment as senior lecturer if he or she
- has a PhD in Social Sciences or Humanities
- is scientifically proficient in the subject area of the position
- has teaching proficiency
- has good ability to express him-/herself in written and spoken English and a Scandinavian language
- has documented training in teaching in higher education, covering around 10 weeks, or by other means acquired the equivalent skills and has experience of teaching at different levels
Assessment for the appointment as senior lecturer shall primarily be based on the degree in which a candidate possesses the skill required to qualify for appointment. Particularly meritorious are
- documented experience of high quality scientific research and international publishing
- capacity to independently initiate and carry out research both theoretically and empirically
- capacity to integrate research in teaching
- experience of working with questions of immigration and integration in Europe
- experience of multi- or interdisciplinary research
The applicant should show an understanding of the challenges facing local areas as well as its global connections and how the applicant intend to interconnect his or her earlier theoretical insights and methodologies to questions that concern rural areas in Europe.